Dee’s Grilled Coconut Shrimp
A unique, quick and delicious coconut shrimp without the frying!
What you’ll need:
½ cup organic coconut milk
¼ cup light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey whiskey or spiced rum
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 pound jumbo shrimp or prawns, peeled and deveined
1 Tablespoon of shredded unsweetened coconut
Thin wooden skewers soaked in water for 1 hour before use
- Combine coconut milk, brown sugar, whiskey (or rum), and lime juice in a large bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Divide the mixture in half to use as both marinade and glaze.
- Add shrimp to a zip lock baggie or bowl. Pour the half of the mixture that is to be used for the marinade into the bag to cover the shrimp.
- Place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Start the glaze after the shrimp has been marinating for about 40 minutes
- Place the coconut milk mixture saved for the glaze in a small saucepan over low-medium heat. Bring to a simmer and stir constantly, until thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator and thread on skewers.
- Grill shrimp about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through. DO NOT overcook the shrimp!
- Remove from grill and brush glaze on the shrimp
- Sprinkle coconut shreds on top of the shrimp and serve.