Dee’s Easy Mexican Style Pinto Beans
What you’ll need:
1 32 oz. can pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
½ Jalapeno or other mild chili, halved (optional)
Salt to taste
Olive oil for frying
For serving, all optional:
Queso fresco (Farmer’s cheese) or Feta cheese
Salsa of choice
Chopped chilies of choice
Corn tortilla chips
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- In a preheated large skillet, add just enough oil to coat pan. Let the oil get hot (but not smoking) and add onions.
- Sauté onions over medium-high heat moving them about frequently until they are golden brown. When they reach this stage, the onions release their sugars and will give the beans a natural sweetness.
- Add the garlic, give it one stir and add beans, including all the liquid.
- Let the beans heat through until they are bubbly. Add the chili if using.
- Using a potato masher, mash the beans leaving a few of them whole. Simmer slowly for about 10 minutes or until beans have thickened somewhat. Remove the chili.
- Sprinkle beans with Mexican queso fresco or dry Farmer’s cheese. Feta cheese works too! They can also be served with the accompaniments listed above.
- Serve hot. Yum.