South of the Border Chopped Salad with Mango & Spicy Lime Cilantro and Honey Dressing
This delightful Mexican-influenced salad can be made any time of the year. You can add or delete whatever you like to the salad to personalize it to your tastes. If you have a Vitamix blender, making the dressing will go a little faster, but any blender will do.
What you’ll need:
For the dressing
1 cup very ripe fresh or frozen mango, chopped
½ Serrano or Jalapeno chili, or to taste
1 Tablespoon honey or to taste
Juice of 2 juicy limes or about 1/3 cup
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro stems (carefully washed)
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup good quality olive oil
For the salad
2 hearts of romaine lettuce or a mixture of your favorite greens, chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup diced sweet pepper (yellow, red, whatever you like)
1 large avocado, diced
1 cup halved sweet cherry tomatoes
Cubed jicama to taste
1 stalk celery, diced
½ cup peeled cubed cucumber
1 to 2 cups fresh or frozen mango cubes
½ cup whole cilantro leaves, removed from stems
1 cup crumbled good quality Feta cheese
- Place all salad dressing ingredients, EXCEPT olive oil into a Vitamix or blender and blend on high speed until liquefied.
- Taste the mixture for balance and add salt, chilies, mango, more lime juice, etc. to your personal taste. Blend again.
- When completed, pour your dressing into a shaker jar and add olive oil. Shake vigorously to blend and taste again just to make sure dressing suits your taste.
- Place all salad ingredients except Feta cheese in a large bowl. Chill until serving time.
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly. Crumble generously with Feta Cheese and serve.