Dee’s Shrimp Scampi
What you’ll need:
16 to 20 (1 pound) extra jumbo shrimp or prawns, shelled with tails intact
4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 Tablespoons butter
6 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed through a garlic press
¼ cup white wine, light and non-bitter such as Riesling, Moscato or Pinot Grigio
Freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 to 2 Tablespoons or more to taste
Fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add garlic to 2 Tablespoons olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl and add shrimp. Toss to coat and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a pan large enough to accommodate shrimp without crowding. Cook the shrimp until it begins to curl and is pink, slightly underdone – about 1 minute per side.
- Remove shrimp from pan with a slotted spatula or spoon, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible. Set shrimp aside.
- Add wine, pepper flakes, if using and lemon juice, stirring to scrape up any bits from the pan, until reduced by about ½.
- Add butter and swirl in pan until butter is melted and sauce is thickened.
- Add shrimp and any juices from plate back into pan and cook in sauce for about 2 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle scampi with coarsely chopped parsley and freshly grated black pepper.
- Serve immediately with some crusty bread to sop up all those delicious juices!