Sweet Rosemary Cornbread with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
An original Dee thing
What you’ll need:
Cornbread mix of your choosing (Jiffy, Trader Joe’s, homemade, etc.)
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh finely chopped rosemary or lemon thyme plus extra for plating
3 cups whipped cream, homemade or canned, or non-dairy whipped topping
6 cups fresh strawberries
1-2 teaspoon fresh finely chopped rosemary or lemon thyme
Sugar for sweetening berries if not sweet enough
6 whole strawberries for garnish
1 pint cold heavy cream
2 teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon, or to taste, flavored liqueur such as Cointreau or other fruit flavor
Canned whipped cream or non-dairy topping of your choice
- Make cornbread batter per package directions. Add 1 Tablespoon of sugar and chopped herbs of your choosing to the batter. Rosemary has a more intense flavor than the lemon thyme so keep this in mind when adding herbs.
- Bake as directed per package directions and let cool.
- While the cornbread is baking, hull the strawberries and place in a large bowl. Add sugar to taste (if your berries are already sweet, you may not need any sugar) and rosemary or thyme. Mash with a potato masher until berries render juice but are not pulverized. Taste and adjust for flavor. You may want to add more herbs or more sugar.
- Whip cream on high speed of mixer or whisk to form soft peaks, add sugar and liqueur to taste. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the cake by cutting the size corncake you want. Slice it horizontally in half. Spoon berries on bottom half and add a dollop of whipped cream.
- Place the top portion of the corncake onto the completed bottom half and spoon desired amount of berries over top. Add another dollop of whipped cream to the top.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped rosemary or thyme and serve.