Black Bean Mango Salsa
What you’ll need:
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno chili, chopped
2 to 3 ripe mangoes, cubed
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed
Handful cilantro, chopped coarsely
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 to 2 tsp. ground coriander
2 Serrano chilies, chopped finely (or to taste)
1/3 cup white wine
1 to 2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp. leaf tarragon (dried*)
*If using fresh tarragon, double amt.
Fish of your choice, grilled is preferred
See below for other serving ideas!
- Sauté onion in olive oil until soft, then add chopped garlic and sauté until cooked
- Rinse beans and drain.
- Stir beans, chilies (both), and mangoes into onion and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, tarragon, wine and vinegar.
- Heat mixture through and remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Adjust seasonings, adding salt to taste.
- You can use this salsa to spoon over grilled or fried fish of any kind. It is especially delicious with Cedar Plank Salmon.
- Make soft fish tacos by using whole wheat flour tortillas, crumbling up your favorite charcoal-grilled fish and top with the salsa and a little thinly sliced cabbage. Top with a little Mexican Cotija cheese – wow!
- Try making a lettuce wrap with chicken or fish and add the salsa and a little extra fresh cilantro.
- It is also good as a side relish with pork or chicken, but is at its very best with grilled fish!