Dee’s Chicken Satay and Peanut Sauce
Great with a side of coconut rice pilaf or a crispy cucumber and onion salad spritzed with lime juice! Satay can be made into delicious lettuce wraps or eaten just dipped in sauce.
What you’ll need:
For the Chicken
8 chicken tenders or boneless/skinless chicken thighs cut into strips
8 wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for 1 hour
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons sugar
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons red curry paste
2 cloves minced or crushed garlic
Freshly ground pepper
For the Peanut Sauce
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 Tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
2 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon sweet chili sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 Tablespoon minced ginger
¼ to ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
Lettuce leaves, preferably butter lettuce, washed and crisped
Thinly sliced scallions
Coarsely chopped cilantro
Coarsely chopped peanuts
Chopped fresh Thai or Serrano chilies (optional)
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Taste and adjust ingredients to your personal taste. You may decide on more lime juice or peanut butter. Experiment until it’s perfect for you!
- Place chicken strips into marinade mixture to completely cover the pieces and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. The longer the chicken marinates, the more intense the flavors in the meat.
- While the chicken is marinating, blend all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds, just until peanut butter melts. Taste and adjust flavors to your personal taste. Set aside.
- Thread chicken breast tenders onto the soaked skewers. Cook on medium high heat on BBQ or grill for 4 minutes on one side. When the chicken just begins to char. Flip to other side and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Chicken breast will cook more quickly than thigh meat. If you are using thigh strips, increase cooking time to 4 minutes on first side and 4 minutes on flip side.
- Remove from heat and plate skewers for serving with lettuce leaves, thinly sliced green onion, cilantro, peanuts and hot peppers. Place lime wedges on each plate for serving.