Delightful Summer Appetizer!
Try this easy but elegant appetizer to impress your friends and your own palate!
Crostini with Prosciutto, Fennel, Olives and Almonds
What you’ll need:
½ cup whole raw almonds
1 large fennel head, fronds reserved for garnish
5 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
1 large baguette
¼ pound salt-cured olives (available at Whole Foods), pitted and thinly sliced
¼ pound prosciutto
- Place almonds in a dry pan and over medium high heat, toast them, tossing occasionally until almonds are golden brown and fragrant. Let cool.
- Coarsely chop almonds and set aside.
- Slice the cleaned fennel bulb in half. With the flat side down, cut into pieces about 1/16th inch thick. If you have a mandolin, use it to slice the fennel so that it is uniform.
- Mix the sliced fennel with 3 Tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Set aside.
- Slice baguette on a diagonal, into rounds about ½ inch thick. Brush with olive oil and grill until toasted.
- Place a piece of prosciutto on each toasted bread slice. Top each with 1 Tablespoon of fennel mixture, 3 to 4 olive slices and sprinkle with chopped toasted almonds.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil and garnish with fennel fronds.